At Atlanta Decorative Finishes we provide the professional finish for you; but there’s nothing wrong with a little DIY work! We’re all about the texture; it adds the uniqueness to your finish and there are endless possibilities with finishing tools. Here are a few we recommend!
- Paint Roller — Take a thin all-purpose joint compound with water and apply it with a textured paint roller. The effect from the roller itself is quite unique, but do a little experimenting! You can also press down harder for a smoother look.
- Crows Foot Brush — A crows foot brush is often designed specifically for texturing drywall and stucco, but you can experiment with any type of brush. Use a different stroke such as poking, punching, or dragging for a range of effects.
- Natural Sponge — Take a sponge, soak it in water and ring it out; proceed to use different techniques like swirling, daubing, rolling, etc. to achieve a variety of looks! Hint: change your grip often to avoid regularity!
- Corner Sponge — Take a small brush or a fragment of a sponge to add some texture into the corners!
- Notched Towel — This is a toothed tool that is great for creating texture. Choose tiling tools that have square or V-grooves in different depths, or choose a paint-graining comb.
- Flat Trowel –A stucco texture typically requires two coats of unthinned all-purpose joint compound. Create a first coat thick enough to create tool marks. Once it dries, apply second coat with a flat trowel, placing random irregular dabs of material with a skipping motion. Gently float the trowel over the dabs to flatten them!
Strapped for time or nervous about doing it yourself? Call in the pros! Atlanta Decorative Finishes can handle both residential and commercial client needs. You can visit our site for photos, services and more contact us here!